Dog sticks tongue in paper shredder
Here’s a household pet hazard that — dastardly as it is — you don’t hear about too often.
But first the moral of the story: If you have a pet at home, or a child for that matter, don’t ever leave your paper shredder on automatic.
The owners of a mixed breed dog named Diamond found that out the hard way last week, when their 8-year-old dog licked their’s, only to have her tongue pulled into the sharp blades.
“She had licked a paper shredder in the house that was set on automatic,” Dr. Marc Wosar, of Miami Veterinary Specialists, told TV station WPLG.
Fortunately, Diamond’s owners were home and responded quickly. They disconnected the head of the shredder, carefully taking it and the dog whose tongue it held to the animal hospital.
“We anesthetized her first, then reversed the shredder off the tongue and assessed the damage,” said Wosar. “There were a lot of lacerations to the tongue as well as a lot of bite wounds. In her panic, she’d also bitten her tongue.”
It took more than a 100 stitches to repair Diamond’s tongue. A portion that was too severely damaged had to be removed, but doctors expect her to make a full recovery.
“She just won’t have a perfectly round tongue. She’ll have a little nick in it,” said Wosar.
Posted by John Woestendiek May 29th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: automatic, cuts, danger, diamond, dog, dogs, hazard, health, lacerations, marc wosar, miami veterinary specialists, paper shredder, pet, safety, shredder, stiches, tongue, vet, veterinarian, veterinary, warning