ADVERTISEMENTS

dibanner

Give The Bark -- The Ultimate Dog Magazine

books on dogs


Introducing the New Havahart Wireless Custom-Shape Dog Fence



Find care for your pets at Care.com!


Pet Meds

Heartspeak message cards


Mixed-breed DNA test to find out the breeds that make up you dog.

Bulldog Leash Hook

Healthy Dog Treats


80% savings on Pet Medications

Free Shipping - Pet Medication


Cheapest Frontline Plus Online

Fine Leather Dog Collars For All Breeds

Marijuana brownie sends poodle on bad trip

When we pointed out the dangers of dogs eating marijuana last month, we didn’t even stop to think about the possibility of this double whammy — dogs eating marijuana brownies.

Renee Morgan says her white standard poodle Saydy did just that last week.

Saydy ate a marijuana brownie someone tossed into Morgan’s back yard in Danville, California, the San Jose Mercury News reports.

Morgan returned home from work to find the two-year-old dog wasn’t “her normal, rambunctious self.” The dog had urinated on herself, couldn’t stand and was shaking.

Morgan scoured the yard looking for something Saydy might have eaten, and collected some vomit for tests at a veterinary emergency center, where Saydy was checked for bee stings and other injuries.

Morgan said that when the veterinarian realized the street Morgan lives on is near a trail, he suggested drug testing. A few hours later, as her dog was recovering overnight at the animal hospital, Morgan was called with the results — Saydy was high on marijuana.

“We would have never thought it was this,” said Morgan, who is a member of the town’s Planning Commission. “I’ve never tried marijuana in my life. We don’t even drink.”

Morgan was told by police officers that hikers sometimes get high on the trail, disposing of their drugs when they see someone coming.

Saydy — despite the toxic combo of chocolate and pot — is fine after $1,500 worth of treatment and medical tests.

Comments

Comment from Coco dog
Time July 6, 2009 at 8:21 am

It didn’t matter if there was pot in the brownie, the chocolate was all that was needed to harm the dog. Lets get the story straight and focus on what really caused the problem. Marijuana is non toxic to animals, chocolate on the other hand is toxic to dogs.

Comment from jwoestendiek
Time July 6, 2009 at 12:55 pm

According to Petplace.com, it takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to be fatal to a dog. While death from ingesting it is not common, it’s possible, especially with a small dog. And the vomiting it can lead to in a dog that ingests it can lead to breathing problems and death as well. So, though we don’t know if it’s the chocolate or the marijuana that caused this particular dog’s problems, we’ll stick to our guns on this one and, when it comes to dogs eating marijuana, just say no.

Comment from Jbonez
Time July 6, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Sorry, but lets say your poodle weighs 10lbs. That would take 15grams for it to be fatal.. You really think someone put a half oz or even close to that in a brownie? Sorry, i’d be surprised if there was even a whole gram in the brownie (not the whole batch, maybe 3.5 grams for a whole batch)

Your dogs illness was caused by chocolate, which is very bad for dogs. Marijuana isn’t really harmful to dogs. Sounds like you have a really crappy vet too.

Comment from Samantha
Time July 6, 2009 at 7:50 pm

People who deny that marijuana causes harm will blame everything else. My dog has gotten into chocolate and has not been harmed. Just say no would be a good idea for kids as well. We shouldn’t treat our dogs better than our kids!

Comment from Anne’n'Spencer
Time July 7, 2009 at 9:02 am

Ugh. Sounds like a lot of misinformation going on. As far as chocolate is concerned, it takes a much purer chocolate than that found in brownies to poison a dog. The most toxic is dark, unsweetened, or semi-sweet–such as baker’s chocolate bricks, chocolate bits, pure chocolate candy bars, or the coating on chocolate candies. The milk chocolates are less toxic, and white chocolate is hardly bothersome at all. So a batch of homemade fudge could be pretty bad. When you make up brownies, you generally use cocoa or a couple of tablespoons of melted chocolate, dispersed among the flour, sugar, eggs, and other ingredients. So a brownie might give a dog (unless it’s a small dog) a bellyache, but it would be very unlikely to cause serious distress. Packaged brownie mix has even less chocolate. All of this information is readily available at the ASPCA, which also operates a poison control center for animals. On the other hand, nobody knows what’s in marijuana. The THC content apparently grows stronger every year, and it can also be “enhanced” by the application of various street drugs. It’s a crapshoot.

The vet who analyzed the vomit would have seen visible evidence of the chocolate right away. Why? Because dogs can’t digest it and it collects in their stomachs for hours in horrible, gooey masses. Saydy probably got rid of most of what was in her system by vomiting–since that’s one of the first ways that chocolate poisoning is treated. She’s a lucky pup. She hopefully also vomited up much of the other poison that was in her system.

So puff away–just keep your marijuana away from kids, dogs, (and me), and don’t try to justify this dog’s poisoning by blaming it on the small amount of chocolate she ingested.

Comment from Amy
Time August 7, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I read the posts and the last one I read by Anne’n'Spencer saying that Chocolate would not hard the dog especially small quantities would not harm the dog. But the marijuana did. And then other are blaming it on the chocolate. I would say both had a contribution to the dogs reactions. I’m sure the chocolate did some harm but I’ve eaten special brownies before and it is a lot different than smoking. If i had eaten a brownie with out knowing it had marijuana I would think something was horribly wrong with me. I would think the dog freaked out as well the marijuana wouldnt have killed it but it freaked him out.

Comment from MikeyA
Time October 10, 2009 at 10:07 am

Two things:
- Chocolate seems to have the same effect on dogs as cocaine does on people. At least in my limited empirical experience with my bichon Kibby.
- Yep. Someone just “tossed it in their backyard.” Oh yeah. For sure.

Comment from Lacey
Time February 20, 2011 at 12:38 am

all of you people that have posted that chocolate is harmful to animals are idiots. research what kind of chocolate actually is fatal to your dog. IT’S PURE COCO. the chocolate that we eat in candy bars and such IS NOT bakers coco it’s MILK CHOCOLATE which is far less harmful to animals. you retards. my 10lb dog once ate an entire bag of hershey kisses and was completely fine. idiots.

Comment from Anonymous
Time September 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

Why are stoners defending MJ here? Pick your fights wisely my friends. Even if the weed was the sole reason of the dog’s sickness, it doesn’t change the facts that caffine kills 10 times as many people a year then MJ or that in over
3700 years of recorded history there has not been a single death contributed to MJ. Dogs have a different digestive system then we do, hence the adverse effects of chocolate to their health…

Write a comment





Emailing within LightroomEmail images directly from within Word, Word.
reseller acrobat 9 pro extended oem