Chihuahua survives 2 days with fork in brain
A 12-week-old Chihuahua named Smokey survived two days with a barbecue fork in his head.
Smokey was being fed some table scraps at a backyard barbecue in London, Kentucky, when the person scraping scraps into his dish used the fork to shoo away another dog. The handle broke, sending the prongs flying into the dog’s skull, said veterinarian Mark Smith.
Smokey immediately ran off into the woods, where he hid for two days. When Smokey finally returned home, he was alive, and the large fork was still stuck in his head.
He was rushed to the Cumberland Valley Animal Hospital where Dr. Smith, after taking X-rays, anesthetized Smokey, disinfected the area around the fork, and simply pulled it out.
Smokey is recovering. “His nerve endings around the eye still seem to be a little slow but I think that will heal over time, he really is a little miracle,” a second veterinarian said.
Dr. Smith ordered six weeks of bed rest for Smokey, most of which will be spent in a crate.
Posted by John Woestendiek July 15th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: accident, animal hospital, back yard, barbecue, barbeque, brain, chihuahua, cranium, cumberland valley, dog, dogs, fork, freak, head, kentucky, london, penetrate, pets, runaway, smokey, stuck, survives, utensil