Drug-sniffing dog ingests a snoutful of meth
Balu, a police dog for the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department in California, accidentally ingested a snoutful of the drug methamphetamine during a search.
The 4 1/2-year-old German shepherd, was rushed to an emergency veterinary clinic early Monday when he began having seizures, about two hours after a drug bust in Moorpark, KTLA reported.
During the arrest, the suspect was seen tossing two bags of drugs. Deputies found one. Balu found the second, torn one. Deputy Dean Worthy said Balu, his partner of three years, seemed fine until they got home and the dog began convulsing. He rushed the animal to the clinic for treatment.
Worthy said Balu is doing well and a full recovery is expected.
Posted by John Woestendiek October 28th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: balu, california, dean worthy, deputies, detecting, dog, drug, german shepherd, ingested, ingests, K-9, meth, methamphetamine, moorpark, narcotics, police, seizures, sheriff, sniffing, ventura county