Labs still tops; beagles, bulldogs rising
For the 20th year in a row, the Labrador retriever is America’s top dog.
While America’s three most popular dog breeds remained the same — Lab, German shepherd and Yorkshire terrier – the American Kennel Club’s annual list of most oft-registered purebreds had some surprises.
The beagle overtook the golden retriever for the No. 4 spot.
“Not since the early 20th Century has the bulldog enjoyed such sustained popularity,” said AKC Spokesperson Lisa Peterson. “‘Bob’ was the first AKC registered bulldog in 1886, and today the breed enjoys its highest ranking in 100 years at number 6.”
The AKC numbers are based on the numbers of purebreds registered with the organization.
Baltimore’s top five breeds reflected the national averages, except for the presence of the Rottweiler at No. 5.
Chihuahuas, ranked 13th nationally, were the sixth most popular breed for Baltimore.
Some other national highlights from the AKC’s count:
- The French bulldog made the largest leap in the past decade, jumping 50 places from 71st to 21st. Other breeds with the biggest increase in rankings over the last decade include the Havanese (from 86th to 31st) and the Cavalier King Charles spaniel (from 54th to 23rd).
- Closing the gap this year, a couple of breeds that had been on the decline over the past decade made double digit increases over the past year — Keeshonden (from 102nd to 87th) and Anatolian shepherd dogs (from 115th to 109th).
- “Bully” breeds have been steadily increasing over the past decade, including the bull terrier (from 78th to 53rd) and the Staffordshire bull terrier (from 97th to 74th).
- Among smaller dogs that rose in the rankings were the Yorkshire terrier (from 7th to 3rd in the past decade), the Cavalier King Charles spaniel (from 54th to 23rd) and the Havanese (from 86th to 31st), proving that they are top of the Toys.
- A trend toward larger breeds is seen with the rise of the Great Dane (from 28th to 17th), mastiff (from 39th to 28th), Newfoundland (from 53rd to 44th), Bernese mountain dog (from 58th to 39th) and the Greater Swiss mountain dog (from 104th to 88th).
Posted by jwoestendiek January 26th, 2011 under Muttsblog.
Tags: akc, america, american kennel club, animals, annual, baltimore, beagle, boxer, breeds, bulldog, dog, dogs, figures, german shepherd, golden retriever, labrador retriever, list, most, most popular breeds, national, pets, popular, popularity, pug, registration, survey, top dog, u.s., yorkshire terrier