OUR BEST FRIENDS

Pinups for Pitbulls

philadoptables

TFPF_Logo

Mid Atlantic Pug Rescue

Our Pack, Inc.

Maine Coonhound Rescue

Saving Shelter Pets, Inc.

mabb

LD Logo Color

Twins to be tried again in dog burning

Prosecutors said today that Travers and Tremayne Johnson, the twin brothers accused of fatally setting fire to a pitbull in 2009, will be tried again.

The first trial ended Monday in a hung jury.

The new trial is scheduled for May 4, ABC2 in Baltimore reported.

The announcement came after a series of meetings held by the prosecutor’s office this week.

The dog, named Phoenix, was doused with accelerant and set on fire in the summer of 2009 — an act that would make headlines across the country, lead to the formation of a citywide animal abuse task force and provoke outrage from animal welfare advocates.

The five-day trial came to a close Monday after the jurors deliberated for more than 20 hours over three days, but couldn’t agree on a verdict. One juror wasn’t convinced of the brothers’ guilt in the attack, according to news reports.

Comments

Comment from LIBBYSPLOGMOM
Time February 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

HOW COME NO ONE HAS YET COMMENTED ON THIS HORRIFIC STORY? Why are there so many pit bulls on rescue sites? Or for adoption for that matter. Are they there because they weren’t good enough in the ring? We can find out if we try. Jail those guys in really warm place.

Comment from Anne’n’Spencer
Time February 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’m encouraged. I think that this shows the city has gotten serious about issues of animal cruelty and (I hope) dog fighting. I hope that police and prosecutors will be able to put together a better case and that this time a conviction will result. Since they are putting a police officer in each district who will be responsible for these cases, we may see better investigations leading to more convictions. I hope the animal lovers and animal organizations of the city will continue to be in touch with the Mayor and their City Council representatives. They need to be encouraged to keep up the good work, and they need to be reminded that these crimes should not be tolerated. We could ensure that Phoenix has left behind a legacy–a Baltimore where animals can live out their lives in safety in a community where cruelty is not tolerated.

Comment from Jim
Time February 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

Justice for Phoenix – terrific news!
I hope this case continues to garner publicity, not only in Baltimore, but nation wide. We need to stop this nonsense dead in its tracks once and for all.
Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident. It seems that almost every week now something new and horrific regarding mistreatment of animals rears it’s ugly head. A VERY sad state of affairs indeed.

Comment from lifesgood
Time February 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Ugh, I hope they rot.

Comment from Julie
Time April 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

How can the juror not be sure of it ? Seriously I wish I was on this jury. I hope these useless brats get what they deserve. Maybe someone will set them on fire. UGH

Comment from Marino 396
Time June 2, 2011 at 9:42 am

These two are a perfect example on how animal abusers are serial criminals in training, now they have a gun charge and I believe that one of them has an attempted murder charge also.
Hopefully in jail there may be some lifer who is a dog lover and is looking for personal redemption……The law of the court is only the beginning, there is always the inside law with these two sorry excuses inside it’s only a matter of time

Write a comment