A mastiff mistake at shelter in Illinois
July was a bad month for the Kendall County animal control department in Illinois.
First, on July 3, a bull mastiff in its care, named Moose, bit a 6-year-old boy visiting the shelter with his family.
Then, intending to euthanize Moose, the shelter accidentally euthanized a different bull mastiff.
Then, not realizing its earlier mistake, Moose was accidentally adopted out to a young couple.
Christine Johnson, the warden of Kendall County animal control, has been placed on administrative leave, Animal Control Committee chairman Anne Vickery told the Chicago Tribune.
Moose bit the boy a month ago at the county animal shelter and “we had every reason to believe” the dog had been euthanized, Vickery said.
Vickery said the series of mistakes came to light during a special meeting of the animal control committee Friday, when Johnson admitted that the wrong mastiff had been euthanized and the mastiff that bit the 6-year-old had been adopted.
Vickery said officials were trying to get Moose back from the family that adopted him.
The boy who was bitten was taken to the hospital for treatment of a bite wound to his cheek. An animal control employee told the deputies the dog was kept in a part of the shelter that had both employee-only signs and others warning visitors to keep their hands and fingers out of the cages.
Posted by jwoestendiek August 1st, 2011 under Muttsblog.
Tags: accident, adoption, animal control, anne vickery, bite, bitten, bull mastiff, christine johnson, euthanasia, euthanized, illinois, kendall county, mastiff, mistake, moose, warden