Emergency shelter opened for pets during storm was bat-infested; county manager fired
Intentions were good — but not much else — when Chowan County, N.C., opened up an old gymnasium to serve as a pet-friendly shelter during Hurricane Irene.
The gym happened to be bat infested, and arriving dogs weren’t check for rabies shots beforehand.
Now, the owners of at least some of the 15 dogs who stayed there are being told they must put their pet in long-term quarantine or have them euthanized, WVEC reported.
And their owners have to get rabies shots.
“Everybody started finding out this place was filled with bats and black mold,” claims Billy Harvell, who dropped three dogs at the gym in Edenton before the storm. He hasn’t seen them in a week and he recently found out it could be much longer before he sees them again.
“It’s not our fault that the county fumbled the ball and stuck everybody in there. The county knew for two years that bats lived in that building,” Harvell said.
County officials say the quarantine and shots are necessaryensure public safety. The county Board of Commissioners fired its county manager last week, in part for his performance during Hurricane Irene. Officials said Paul Parker left town, though he was not authorized to do so.
Posted by jwoestendiek September 13th, 2011 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: bat-infested, bats, chowan county, county manager, dogs, edenton, emergency, fired, gymnasium, hurricane, irene, north carolina, pets, rabies, shelter