911 operator helps save choking dachshund
A 10-pound dachshund had chewed on a present and swallowed either a piece of the gift or its wrapping, blocking her airway, according to the The Oakland Press.
The woman called 911 at 9:46 a.m on Christmas morning:
“I am so sorry to call you but I’ve got a dog that’s choking on a piece of Christmas present she opened,” the woman said between sobs. “She’s choking to death.”
Royal Oak police dispatcher Stacey Sheldon told the caller to open the dog’s mouth to see if the obstruction was visible.
When it wasn’t, she told the woman to perform the Heimlich maneuver in the manner generally recommended for small children.
Have a listen:
The dispatcher told the woman to hold the dog in her arms, find the place where the dog’s ribs meet, and push in and up with force. The caller relayed the directions to a man.
Near the end of the recording, the caller can be heard saying, “She just coughed it up. I’m so happy.”
“I’m happy too,” Sheldon said. “Take her to the vet to make sure she didn’t hurt anything in her throat. Merry Christmas.”
“The dispatcher did a great job of walking her through the correct procedure of where to apply pressure to dislodge the object,” Police Chief Corrigan O’Donohue said. “I just learned about it from a thank-you note from the family. I listened to the call and the dispatcher did such a great job. She was compassionate but firm and patient.”
(Photo: Oakland Press)
Posted by jwoestendiek January 23rd, 2012 under Muttsblog.
Tags: 911, airway, animals, audio, blocked, call, caller, choking, dachshund, directions, dispatcher, dogs, emergency, health, heimlich, instructions, listen, maneuver, pets, police, royal oak, safety, saved, saves, stacey sheldon