Barney and pebbles: He swallowed 109
The X-ray above shows some of the 109 stones a Lab named Barney consumed during a walk on the beach a few months ago.
His owner, Kim Woollard, who’s used to Barney putting just about everything in his mouth, didn’t realize at the time he was swallowing them, but she noticed the next day that he seemed under the weather.
After taking him to the vet, Mrs. Woollard, who lives in Surrey in the UK, said she was “gobsmacked” by what she saw.
Barney, a chocolate Labrador, had eaten 109 pebbles during his walk on the beach, the Daily Mail reports.
The vets found 79 pebbles in stomach cavity – and Mrs. Woollard, after getting back home, found 30 more in his bed.
Mrs. Woollard, a 52-year-old jeweler, went for the walk with Barney and her husband, Andrew, back in September, on a beach in Kent.
“Barney was always full of energy and he loved going for walks on the beach. It was a pebbly beach and I let him off the lead there as there wasn’t anyone on the beach apart from us. Andrew and I were chatting and watching Barney, but we didn’t see him do anything out of the ordinary. He was racing along enjoying himself.”
Back at home, the Woollards noticed a few stones in Barney’s basket, but didn’t think anything of it. The next day, there were more, and when her husband ran his hand along Barney’s belly “we could actually hear them rattling,” she said.
Barney had an operation to remove the 70 stones remaining inside him and made a full recovery.
(Photos: WorldWideFeatures.com, via Daily Mail)
Posted by jwoestendiek February 27th, 2013 under Muttsblog.
Tags: 109, animals, barney, beach, chocolate lab, dog, dogs, health, lab, labrador, passed, pebbles, pets, retriever, safety, stomach, stones, surgery, surrey, swallowed, uk, veterinary, walk, x-ray, xray