Jack Russell gobbles up $1.11 — all pennies
A Jack Russell terrier is worth $1.11 less, but feeling much better, after 111 pennies he gulped down were removed from his stomach.
The 13-year-old dog, named Jack, underwent a two-hour operation at BluePearl Veterinary Partners.
The coins were fished out five at a time, said Jack’s owner, Tim Kelleher, who reported that Jack was back to normal after the operation:
“He’s driving me crazy again,” he said.
Kelleher who lives in Manhattan and works on Wall Street, said Jack climbed onto a desk to reach a bag that had a bagel in it, and knocked the change over the floor. He said Jack must have swallowed the pennies while licking the bagel crumbs off the floor.
When Jack became ill and started vomiting last Friday, Kelleher took him to the vet, where an X-ray showed the pennies clustered in his belly.
Surgery was advised because the zinc in the coins posed a lethal threat to the dog’s kidneys and liver.
“If Jack would not have had the pennies removed the consequences would have been fatal,” said Dr. Amy Zalcman, who helped treat the dog.
The New York Daily News reports that the dog’s owner let the vet keep the change.
Posted by jwoestendiek March 13th, 2013 under Muttsblog.
Tags: 111, animals, bluepearl, copper, dog, dogs, eats, health, jack, jack russell, kidneys, lethal, manhattan, new york, pennies, pets, safety, surgery, swallows, terrier, veterinary, zinc