Sierra, a West Highland terrier in Colorado, had 26 cents in her stomach.
But it was the single penny that killed her.
Owner Maryann Goldstein said Sierra was always attracted to change. As a puppy, the Westie swallowed 32 cents and had to have it surgically removed. In March, Sierra got sick again, and X-rays at the vet’s office showed a quarter and penny in her stomach.
The smaller coin was the bigger concern.
Pennies minted after 1982 contain zinc, and that’s toxic to dogs and cats, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Dr. Rebecca Jackson, a staff veterinarian at Petplan pet insurance, told CBSNews.com that newer pennies are toxic because gastric acid from the pet’s stomach reaches the zinc center, causing it to be absorbed in the body rapidly.
She said zinc interferes with red blood cell production, and the longer the exposure, the greater likelihood red blood cells will be destroyed. Symptoms of zinc toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, red-colored urine or looking jaundiced.
“Be sure to bank your spare change before curious pets can get their paws on it,” warned Jackson. “and if they do, get them to the emergency vet immediately.”
Goldstein, who now wears Sierra’s ashes in a heart-shaped container on a necklace, shared her dog’s story with CBS in Denver as a warning to others.
Posted by jwoestendiek April 25th, 2013 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: 1982, after, animals, caution, colorado, contain, death, dogs, health, lethal, minted, pennies, penny, pets, safety, sierra, toxic, veterinary, warning, west highland terrier, westie, zinc
This neglected and abandoned duo was found back in the fall in a park in Rocky Mount, N.C.
They were filthy, badly matted, stinky and barely able to get around.
“They could not walk, see or use the bathroom, yet someone dumped them in that park in that shape,” Sandy Wright Holt wrote in a Facebook post. “I’ve been in rescue over 10 years and have never come across any animal as neglected as these two were.”
After a trip to a vet, where they were shaved — a process that took hours — and given medical treatment, the two ended up in foster care, arranged by the SPCA Alliance of NC, and they’ve since been placed in an adoptive home.
These days, they go by the names Charley and Marley.
Whoever neglected and abandoned them hasn’t been found.
Just last week, looking like far different dogs, Charley and Marley took part in a fundraiser for a local rescue.
Here’s one more pair of before and after photos.
(Photos courtesy of SPCA Alliance of N.C.)
Posted by jwoestendiek April 13th, 2012 under Muttsblog.
Tags: abandoned, after, animal cruelty, animals, before, before and after, charley, charley and marley, cruelty to animals, dogs, found, marley, matted, neglect, neglected, park, pets, sandy wright holt, spca alliance of NC
Hutch was one of 20 dogs living in a single room of a mobile home in Louisiana. They rarely got out and ate only dumplings, as that was all their owner could afford.
Authorities were tipped off about the conditions the dogs were living in, at which point several rescue organizations were contacted, including NOLA Lab Rescue, in New Orleans, established a couple of years ago by Kim Breaux.
Hutch resembled a Lab, though it was hard to tell what breed or breeds he was given all the mange, sores, hairless spots and infections.
Breaux was able to find a volunteer to foster Hutch from among her supporters, and after treatment for his mange and other problems, he made the trip to a new temporary home in Tennessee.
Melissa S., the foster mom, recounts the full story at Animal Hoarding News & Info.
On Nov. 7, 2010, Hutch arrived at his foster home, one he would share with four other dogs.
“He was a little timid at first, but he soon fell into place with the other, eating and sleeping with them. He soon learned how to fetch the Frisbee like all the others. He really didn’t come with much “baggage” … he was house broken in no time at all … he was very eager to listen and learn. You could tell that he craved love and attention and began to blossom.”
“A face that nobody could turn away from” is how she describes him.
“After he was in our home for just a few short weeks, my husband decided he could not bear to part with Hutch, so we officially adopted him. He is such a special boy, he makes us laugh every day.”
Posted by jwoestendiek April 5th, 2012 under Muttsblog.
Tags: 20 dogs, adopted, after, animals, before, dogs, foster, fostered, hoard, hoarded, hoarders, hoarding, hutch, infections, kim breaux, labrador, louisiana, mange, mobile home, new orleans, nola lab rescue, one room, pets, sores
The video above was made last year, when Eldad and Audrey Hagar of Hope for Paws found a dog huddled amid some trash in South Los Angeles.
“She was just so defeated,” said Eldad Hagar, who captured the rescue on video. “…There seemed to be no hope there.”
As it turns out, and as you’ll see in the “after” video below, there was.
The Hagars, who estimate they’ve rescued more than 500 dogs through their organization, took the dog home and named her Fiona. They shaved off her grimy and matted fur, gave her a bath and, realizing she was blind, took her to a vet who told them it was possible that sight could be restored in one of her eyes.
A nationwide fundraising effort followed, and Fiona received a $4,000 eye surgery that replaced the lens in one of her eyes. Her other eye, badly damaged by glaucoma, had to be removed.
After that, Fiona — a poodle mix — was adopted and “is doing amazing,” Eldad says.
Eldad, 36, and his wife, Audrey, 37, are the founders of Hope For Paws, a Los Angeles-based animal rescue organization that takes in abused and neglected animals.
Hagar and his wife rescue several animals a week in the Los Angeles area, and often videotape the process. You can see some examples on their YouTube page.
Posted by jwoestendiek March 27th, 2012 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: adopt, adopted, after, animals, audrey hagar, before, blind, dog, dogs, eldad hagar, eyesight, facebook, fiona, fundraising, garbage, help for paws, los angeles, pets, poodle, rescue, restored, shelter, sight, transformation, trash, videos, youtube
Roland, an abandoned sharpei, has had a face lift.
While sharpeis are prized for their wrinkly skin — and dog show breed standards deem it desirable — it can also lead to a condition called entropion, in which the wrinkles cause a dog’s eyelashes to turn inward and rub against the eyeballs.
For Roland, found as a stray and taken in by the RSPCA, the condition likely would have led to blindness, and it lessened his chances of finding an adoptive home.
The solution, according to the Daily Telegraph, was a double eye lift and full face lift.
“What we have done is made him adoptable,” RSPCA chief vet Magdoline Awadshe said. “It is not uncommon in this breed, it is a congenital problem.”
Roland’s 90-minute surgery eye lift surgery and excess face wrinkle removal cost almost $1000.
It’s not uncommon for sharpeis to undergo the procedure, in which a swath of of skin from across the animal’s forehead and between his eyes is removed, and the remaining skin is pulled together and sewn with stitches. Chow chows, bulldogs, pugs and other breeds are also prone to the condition.
The RSPCA says Roland is one of growing number of sharpeis turning up at animal shelters. Members of the once rare breed are often abandoned after owners realize the costs of correcting their congenital health problems.
(Photo: Daily Telegraph)
Posted by jwoestendiek January 6th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: abandoned, adopt, after, animals, before, blindness, congenital, dogs, entropion, eyelashes, eyes, face lift, magdoline awad, pets, removed, rspca, shar peis, shar-pei, sharpei, sharpeis, shelter, surgery, wrinkles