A dog in Oregon has become the first confirmed canine victim in the nationwide salmonella outbreak.
The dog, a 3-year-old mixed breed in southern Oregon named Levi, got sick late last month after eating Happy Tails multi-flavored dog biscuits, said Emilio DeBess, the state public health veterinarian. DeBess said tests on the biscuits showed they were tainted.
The outbreak that has sickened at least 575 people nationwide and been linked to eight deaths.
In a related development Friday, The Associated Press reported that Peanut Corp. of America’s plant at Blakely, Ga., knowingly shipped salmonella-contaminated products as far back as 2007, according to inspection records released Friday.
In Oregon, DeBess said Levi’s illness is the first time since the outbreak started in September that health authorities in the U.S. have confirmed a case of a sick dog, and the first time that salmonella has been found in dog biscuits.
With the potential for cross-contamination, DeBess said, people should be especially diligent about washing their hands after touching a dog with bloody diarrhea.
Posted by John Woestendiek February 7th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: albertsons, biscuits, dog, dog biscuits, dog treats, dogs, food, happy tails, oregon, peanut butter, pets, recall, salmonella, treats, washington
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is advising pet owners to discontinue using peanut butter products in light of last week’s recall by the FDA, which traced sources of Salmonella contamination to a plant owned by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), a distributor of peanut butter and peanut paste used in some dog treats.
“The ASPCA recommends that pet parents discontinue the use of all affected products immediately until further information has been received,” said Dr. Steven Hansen, the ASPCA’s Senior Vice President of Animal Health Services. “Pet parents should wash their hands after handling any potentially contaminated food and immediately consult with a veterinarian if any signs or symptoms are noticed in their pets.”
The ASPCA warning follows PetSmart’s voluntary recall of seven dog biscuit products as a result of a salmonella outbreak. In addition, the Jewel-Osco company announced its own dog biscuit recall earlier today in what it described as a “precautionary move.” The recall affects Happy Tails Brand Multi-Flavored Dog Biscuits in 26-ounce and 4-pound sizes.
For a complete list of affected brands and more information on the recall, please visit FDA’s recall page.
Posted by John Woestendiek January 26th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: albertsons, aspca, biscuits, fda, happy tails, health, jewel-osco, news, ohmidog!, peanut butter, peanut paste, petsmart, recall, salmonella, snacks, treats, warning
Albertsons grocery stores are recalling dog treats sold in Washington and seven other western states.
Albertsons is voluntarily recalling Happy Tails multiflavored dog-biscuit products, saying they may contain peanut butter that could be contaminated with salmonella.
The decision comes after federal authorities urged consumers to avoid foods containing peanut butter until more is known about a deadly outbreak of salmonella possibly linked to a Blakely, Ga., facility owned by Peanut Corp. of America.
The dog treats have not been linked directly to the salmonella outbreak; Albertsons said it was recalling the products “out of an abundance of caution.”
Posted by John Woestendiek January 25th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: albertsons, alert, biscuits, blakely, dog treats, fda, happy tails, news, ohmidog!, peanut butter, peanut corp of america, recall, salmonella, voluntary, warning
Mars Petcare voluntarily recalled a limited number of 52-pound bags of Pedigree “Small Crunchy Bites” from Costco stores in Northern California and Nevada because of the possibility they might be contaminated with salmonella.
Another hundred bags of the dog food, in 20-pound size, were voluntarily recalled from Albertsons groceries in California and Las Vegas.
Mars issued a press release saying early media reports that the recall involved all California Costcos were erroneous.
The company said there have been no complaints or reports of injury.
Salmonella can cause serious infections in dogs and cats and people.