Over the weekend the entertainer posted pictures of her new Chihuahua mix, Bean, on Twitter.
“U know I’m a complete crazy dog lady so you could imagine what’s happening to me right now,”she tweeted.
Bean was adopted from Los Angeles’ Spot! dog rescue — the same organization to which she surrendered another dog, Ziggy, late last year.
Examiner.com found great significance in the act:
“As Miley Cyrus opened her home for the four legged creature out of the goodness of her own heart, it seems that other humans are thinking about adoption too. In what has become a teaching moment, it appears Miley Cyrus is actually showing people how much goodness is found in the process of adopting an animal.”
In November, Cyrus lost Lila, her two-year-old Yorkie, when Ziggy, a bulldog she bought for fiance Liam Hemsworth, killed the smaller dog. Ziggy was sent to a rescue organization to be rehomed.
Cyrus has adopted at least six dogs in recent years, including Floyd, an Alaskan Klee Kai, also known as a miniature husky, a Rottweiler-beagle mix named Happy, and a black and white mixed breed named Mary Jane.
Posted by jwoestendiek January 8th, 2013 under Muttsblog.
Tags: adoption, animals, bean, celebrities, cyrus, death, dog, dogs, floyd, grieving, happy, lila, loss, mary jane, miley, miley cyrus, pets, rescue, spot dog rescue, ziggy
Sean Burte said he put the brie and knife on a coffee table in his home in Roslindale, Mass., and walked away briefly.
That’s when Bean, a 118-pound female, seized the opportunity, jumped on the table and swallowed both.
Burte rushed his dog to Angell Animal Medical Center, where veterinarians confirmed the dog had the knife in her stomach, CBS in Boston reported.
“Bean is a very lucky dog because her size, and the position the knife was in when she swallowed it, minimized further damage to her throat and stomach,” said Dr. Mike Pavletic, head of Angell’s surgery department. “She did very well throughout the surgery and we’re glad to see her recuperating at home.”
Posted by jwoestendiek February 23rd, 2012 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animals, ate, bean, brie, bull mastiff, cheese, cheese knife, dog, dogs, health, knife, pets, safety, surgery, swallowed, veterinarians, veterinary, x-ray, xray
Minnesota’s legislature was on the verge of passing a simple little law — requiring retailers to post signs warning consumers that cocoa mulch can be fatal to dogs — when the governor stepped in and vetoed it.
Why? Because, he said, it was an example of “legislative overreach.”
“I share the goal that we should take reasonable precautions to protect our pets,” Gov. Tim Pawlenty wrote. “However, it is unreasonable to ask all retailers to post signs at the point of purchase for such products.
“A better approach would be to require manufacturers to post warning labels on the products themselves, where necessary and appropriate. We should also supplement efforts to protect our pets by raising public awareness regarding products that are potentially harmful to them.”
The law, nicknamed ”Moose’s Law“ for a chocolate Lab who died after ingesting cocoa bean shell mulch, was authored by state Sen. Scott Dibble. It would have required businesses selling the mulch to post signs, warning that the product is potentially poisonous to pets, and advising them to contact a veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center if a pet eats it.
Moose belonged to Terry and Dawn Hall who moved to Minneapolis from Atlanta, and laid down the mulch while landscaping their yard in the summer of 2007.
“The package said it was organic,” Terry Hall says. “It was nice and dark, and we thought that would look really good.”
A couple of days later, on a boat on the St. Croix River, they threw a Frisbee into the water for Moose to retrieve. He dove in and never came up. They spotted his body floating beneath the surface of the water.
Learn more about cocoa bean shell mulch here.
Posted by jwoestendiek May 19th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: bean, chocolate, cocoa, dog, dogs, fatal, governor, health, lab, legislature, minneapolis, minnesota, moose, moose's law, mulch, pawlenty, poisonous, safety, scott dibble, shell, toxic, veto