Diamond is a documented hero — credited with saving the lives of her California family and named one of the nation’s top ten “Valor Dogs” — but landlords only see her as trouble.
Her owner says that despite being named one of the nation’s top ten “Valor Dogs” by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), dozens of landlords are turning away “Diamond” because she’s a pit bull, WBIR-TV reports.
Darryl Steen, Diamond’s owner, says she woke him up when his apartment caught fire last October. He was able to get one of his daughters to safety by dropping her out of a window, but couldn’t reach the second child.
When firefighters finally got to her, Diamond was laying on top of the girl in an effort to protect her from the flames.
The dog suffered severe burns, but has recovered.
Steen says that several landlords have told them that pets are welcome, only to renege when they learn that Diamond is a pit bull.
Posted by jwoestendiek March 17th, 2011 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: animals, banned, california, darryl steen, diamond, discrimination, dogs, family, fire, hayward, hero, humane society, landlords, pets, pit bull, pitbull, rentals, saved, valor
A South Carolina woman says God advised her to hang and burn her nephew’s pit bull because it had chewed her Bible and was a “devil dog,” according to animal control officers.
Miriam Fowler Smith, 65, of Pacolet Mills, S.C., remained in jail Tuesday morning in Spartanburg County, charged with felony animal cruelty, the Charlotte Observer reported.
Smith’s nephew, Andy Fowler, said he originally thought his dog, Diamond, had broken its leash and got away. But when he confronted his aunt, officers said, she admitted killing the dog.
Officers searched the property around the house and said they found the dog’s burned body under a mound of leaves and grass.
The police report said officers found an orange extension cord wrapped around the dog’s neck and noticed a kerosene smell.
Smith was arrested Sunday and charged with one count of ill treatment of animals.
Posted by jwoestendiek January 25th, 2011 under Muttsblog.
Tags: abuse, animal cruelty, animal welfare, animals, arrest, bible, burned, chew, chewed, chewing, cruelty to animals, devil dog, diamond, dog, dogs, extension cord, fire, hung, miriam fowler smith, pets, pit bull, pitbull, set on fire, south carolina, spartanburg, torture
A dog hanging out in his owner’s jewelry store ate a diamond worth $20,000.
Worse yet, it wasn’t even one of the store’s diamonds, but one that a diamond dealer was showing off to the owners at Robert Bernard Jewelry Store, located in, of all places, Rockville, Md.
The diamond dealer dropped the gem when he pulled it out, and the store owner’s golden retriever, named Soli, scarfed it right up,WJLA reported.
The store owners called Soli’s vet, who advised letting nature take its course.
“It was not that pleasant,” said George Kaufmann, co-owner of Robert Bernard Jewelers. “I followed him; I had to pick up his stuff; I had to go through the things. I can understand what it was like in the old Gold Rush. I felt like I had just hit pay dirt.”
After three days, the diamond exited Soli and was returned to the dealer.
Posted by jwoestendiek March 12th, 2010 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: animals, dealer, diamond, dog, dogs, excrement, gem, george kaufmann, golden retriever, jewel, jewelry, jewelry store, maryland, news, ohmidog!, pets, poop. waste, robert bernard jewelers, rockville, soli, swallowed, swallows
Here’s a household pet hazard that — dastardly as it is — you don’t hear about too often.
But first the moral of the story: If you have a pet at home, or a child for that matter, don’t ever leave your paper shredder on automatic.
The owners of a mixed breed dog named Diamond found that out the hard way last week, when their 8-year-old dog licked their’s, only to have her tongue pulled into the sharp blades.
“She had licked a paper shredder in the house that was set on automatic,” Dr. Marc Wosar, of Miami Veterinary Specialists, told TV station WPLG.
Fortunately, Diamond’s owners were home and responded quickly. They disconnected the head of the shredder, carefully taking it and the dog whose tongue it held to the animal hospital.
“We anesthetized her first, then reversed the shredder off the tongue and assessed the damage,” said Wosar. “There were a lot of lacerations to the tongue as well as a lot of bite wounds. In her panic, she’d also bitten her tongue.”
It took more than a 100 stitches to repair Diamond’s tongue. A portion that was too severely damaged had to be removed, but doctors expect her to make a full recovery.
“She just won’t have a perfectly round tongue. She’ll have a little nick in it,” said Wosar.
Posted by jwoestendiek May 29th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: automatic, cuts, danger, diamond, dog, dogs, hazard, health, lacerations, marc wosar, miami veterinary specialists, paper shredder, pet, safety, shredder, stiches, tongue, vet, veterinarian, veterinary, warning