A Helena, Montana, man has been charged with animal cruelty after his dog was found to have a blood alcohol level four times the legal limit for humans driving motor vehicles.
Police responded to a call about an intoxicated dog at Smith’s Bar, where customers and staff were caring for the dog, a Pomeranian mix named Arly II.
According to police, the dog had trouble walking and standing.
Witnesses told police the dog had been given vodka in a car outside the bar.
Police took the dog to Alpine Animal Clinic, where veterinarian Dr. Michelle Richardson drew blood. Tests showed a blood-alcohol level of 0.348 percent. The legal limit for driving is 0.08 percent.
Arly II stayed at the animal hospital a few days and is now at the Lewis and Clark Humane Society pending the outcome of the criminal case, the Helena Independent Record reported.
Todd Harold Schrier, 49, was charged with animal cruelty and a felony drug charge related to the March 1 incident.
Posted by jwoestendiek March 23rd, 2012 under Muttsblog.
Tags: alcohol, animal cruelty, animals, arly, arly II, arrest, blook alcohol, cruelty to animals, dog, dogs, drink, drunk, helena, intoxicated, level, montana, pets, poisoning, pomeranian, smiths bar, todd schrier, vodka
Start spreading the news. Dogs, despite the many drinking establishments in New York that let them in, are against the rules, and the city health department is making it a point to enforce them.
That means — even though everybody knows his name — dogs like Miles, a 9-year-old boxer-pug mix who has been going to Ace Bar in the East Village all his life, is no longer welcome there .
Citywide, it’s the end of a tradition — an illegal tradition, but a tradition all the same, the New York Times reports.
The crackdown applies indoors and out, and even to bars that don’t serve what you and I might consider food. “Beer, wine and spirits have always been classified as food,” a department spokeswoman wrote in an email to the Times.
As a result, Miles can only forlornly look in the door when he passes the Ace Bar on his daily walk, said manager Justin Saunders. “Every time Miles walks by, he tries to come in.”
“He’s a dog, but I swear he looks sad,” said Miles owner, Mike Israely.
While it has always been a violation of the city’s health code to allow a dog in a bar, the health department has decided to enforce the rule — clearly the work of buzzkilling bureaucrats who don’t really understand dogs, or bars.
“Bars are built around characters,” noted Andrew Templar, an owner of Floyd NY in Brooklyn Heights — an establishment that drew both the canine and human variety.
It recently received a violation notice after health inspectors twice observed dogs on the premises this summer. “Now it’s just people and their people problems,” Templar complained.
The health department issued 469 violations for live animals in food-service sites from July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2011.
The Times article recounts a long history of dog-friendly drinking holes in the city. At P.J. Clarke’s in Midtown, when a collie named Skippy died, patrons pitched in to have him stuffed. He sits atop a ledge above the entrance to the handicapped bathroom.
A few bars continue to allow dogs, but — unlike the New York Times — we’re not going to name them, lest health inspectors be trolling the Internet.
(Top Photo: By Christian Hansen for The New York Times)
Posted by jwoestendiek August 29th, 2011 under Muttsblog.
Tags: ace bar, atmosphere, ban, bar dogs, bars, beverage, characters, crackdown, dog friendly, dogs, dogs in bars, drink, enforcement, food, health department, illegal, inspectors, miles, new york city, rules, tradition, violations
Most people think dogs “lap up” water, using their tongues to splash it up into their mouths.
But as this slow motion video made for the Discovery Channel shows, dogs actually curl their tongues backwards, forming a bowl that hoists the water into their mouths.
Maybe next the folks at Discovery can explain why the process is so darn loud, and why some dogs continue to drip for two minutes afterwards.