A five-year-old boy in Ireland who became trapped in a running clothes dryer was pulled to safety after the family dog alerted his mother.
Teddy, a cockapoo, or poodle-cocker spaniel mix, alerted the mother by growling and running up and down the stairs after seeing the boy tumbling inside the dryer.
Riley, who has Downs syndrome, was taken to a hospital with burns and bruises.
It was the second time in recent months that Teddy saved the day. He alerted the family to a burning mobile phone charger in a bedroom by displaying the same agitated behavior, Belfast Live reported.
“She’s one in a million,” Riley’s father, Aaron said. “Gillian and I bought her two years ago as a family pet and we all just love her.
Riley crawled into the dryer with his iPad. When he closed the door behind him that triggered the drying cycle to begin.
His mother was running a vacuum cleaner at the time.
After being alerted by Teddy, though, she pulled Riley out of the dryer and doused him with cold water. His father returned home about that time, and an ambulance arrived within minutes.
Four years ago, his parents say, Riley beat the odds and survived surgery to repair three holes in his heart.
The family reports that being tumbled in the dryer did not cause any broken bones and that Riley was expected to be released soon from the hospital.
(Photos courtesy of the family)
Posted by John Woestendiek November 16th, 2016 under Muttsblog.
Tags: alerted, alerts, animals, boy, clothes dryer, cockapoo, dog, dogs, downs syndrome, dryer, gedge-duffy, ireland, mother, pets, rescue, riley, saves, teddy, trapped
About 70 shelter dogs were killed in a fire at the Humane Society of Southeast Texas.
About 200 animals were being housed at the shelter and, according to various reports, anywhere between 67 and 74 of them died in the Tuesday night fire, all of them dogs.
Beaumont Fire Department Captain Brad Penisson told KHOU the fire was apparently sparked by malfunctioning dryer.
The Humane Society of Southeast Texas reported what happened early yesterday on its Facebook page.
“It is with heavy hearts that we must inform you of the great loss we suffered tonight. Earlier this evening our facility caught on fire. Though the fire and police department did everything in their power to save all of our animals a total of 67 dogs died in the fire.
“There are no words to describe the pain we are feeling right now. Thank you to all of the staff, volunteers, veterinarians, and service men and women who came and assisted us tonight. We will be walking through the shelter in the morning to assess the damage and to make decisions on the best way to move forward.”
While foster homes have been found for the cats and the 11 dogs that survived, the society is taking names of those interested, and it is accepting donations to help in recovery efforts.
Donations of money can be made through The Humane Society of Southeast Texas website.
These scenes of the fire’s aftermath are from a Beaumont Enterprise photo gallery.
(Photos: At top, one of the surviving dogs; at center, the dryer where the fire is believed to have started; at bottom, two shelter staff members console each other; by Ryan Pelham / The Beaumont Enterprise)
Posted by John Woestendiek March 17th, 2016 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animal welfare, animals, beaumont, cats, cause, deaths, dogs, donations, dryer, fire, foster homes, humane society of southeast texas, pets, rescues, shelter, shelters, texas, tragedy, tragic
The Baltimore Humane Society is looking for a few good men, women and appliances.
Andrew S. Levine, executive director of the society, has issued a plea for cash donations and other items needed to upgrade the facility in Reisterstown.
Those items include:
– A propane boiler to heat the main shelter building
— A 5 ton 13 S.E.E.R Air Conditioning System for the dog kennel, where temperatures can rise to 110 degrees in the summer
— A washer and dryer
— A refrigerator to keep medications cool
— A backup power generator to keep shelter heat on in the winter when power goes out and to keep power on during surgeries
— An x-ray machine for pets that are dropped off at the shelter after being injured in accidents
— Painting services to repaint buildings, inside and out
— Updated fencing for kennels
— Roof and gutter repairs
— Construction labor
–Landscaping supplies and labor
Levine asked that anyone that can help contact him at (410) 561-7666
Posted by John Woestendiek March 5th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: air conditioning, appliances, boiler, dryer, help, humane, labor, needs, refrigerator, shelter, society, supplies, volunteers, washer
An entrepreneur in France has introduced the “Dog-o-Matic,” a laundromat-style machine that washes and dries a dog in about a half hour.
Romain Jarry, 31, says the device has been a hit in his home town of St. Max, and insists it’s neither cruel nor harmful to dogs, according to China Daily.
He charges about $20 for a small load, $33 for a medium-sized one, and $47 for super-sized.
“It doesn’t take long to wash the dog – usually a few minutes,” Jarry said. “The longest part is the drying. The dogs don’t seem to get bored. They just sit there and they come out clean. We are really hoping it will take off and that other places will start buying in the machines.”
Jarry said he hopes to make the machines available in England within the next year, but admits it may take time for people to get used to the idea.
Afraid we have to give this one — convenient as it might be — a big paws down.
Posted by John Woestendiek May 19th, 2009 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: device, dog, dog-o-matic, dogomatic, dogs, dryer, drying, france, french, grooming, laundromat, machine, romain jarry, video, washer, washing