A beagle named Sparky is suspected of starting a fire that damaged the home of a Virginia firefighter.
Glenn Ross was about to sit down to dinner at Alexandria Fire Department Station 206 Tuesday evening when he heard a familiar address come across the radio — that of his home in Franconia.
Arriving at his house, Ross learned his wife had not been home, and his two dogs — Sparky and Brownie — had been rescued, though both were unconscious on a neighbor’s lawn. Firefighters had found the dogs under a table in the kitchen, where both spend the day.
Investigators said the fire started when a box of dog treats left on the stove top ignited, WUSA reported.
Ross believes that one of the dogs, most likely Sparky, jumped up trying to get the treats and accidentally turned on a burner.
Ross said a five-year-old neighbor saw smoke coming from the home and ran in to get his grandparents who called 911.
Both dogs were recovering at Alexandria Animal Hospital and Veterinary Emergency Service, where they were being treated for smoke inhalation and corneal burns.
Posted by John Woestendiek May 10th, 2010 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: alexandria, animals, blame, blamed, brownie, burner, dog, dogs, fire, firefighter, franconia, glenn ross, house, knob, news, ohmidog!, pets, safety, sparky, started, stove, stovetop, treats, turned, video, virginia