Firefighters in San Diego had to cut the wrought iron rails to free him.
“How in the world the dog got his head and shoulders through a 4-inch gap we’ll never know,” Dan DeSousa of the San Diego County Department of Animal Services, said of the Monday incident.
According to NBC 7 in San Diego, Cooper has separation anxiety and doesn’t like to be far from his owner. He’s reported to be doing fine.
(Photo: San Diego County Animal Services)
Posted by jwoestendiek October 17th, 2012 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animals, anxiety, california, chocolate lab, cooper, dogs, gate, lodged, pets, san diego, separation, separation anxiety, stuck, wedged
If you’re not noticing Greenies on your store shelves these days, that’s because their maker, Nutro Products, Inc., has restricted those selling them to veterinary hospitals and pet specialty retailers.
In a press release issued last week, Nutro announced the change applies to Greenies canine and feline dental chews, Pill Pockets and Smart Biscuits.
“…We believe that pet medical professionals at veterinary hospitals and well-trained, knowledgeable staff at pet specialty stores are best equipped to answer pet owners’ questions about our products, and to make the right recommendation, said Carolyn Hanigan, Vice President of Marketing, Nutro Products, Inc.
Posted by jwoestendiek May 6th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: benefits, chews, choking, dangers, dental, esophagus, greenies, hazards, intestine, lodged, nutro products, professionals, restricts, retailers, sale, specialty, treats, veterinarians, veterinary, vets
Rushing to his side, Larsen reached into his dog’s mouth. Nick bit down, severing Larsen’s fingertip.
What happened next is why we like Robert Larsen, 72, of Lincoln, Neb. – even though we don’t know him.
The ball was still lodged in the dog’s throat when he arrived at Omaha Animal Medical Group. Vets removed the ball and revived the dog, and Larsen was taken to Methodist Hospital, then transferred to the Nebraska Medical Center, where he was treated and released. Larsen was visiting a family member’s home in Omaha when the accident took place.
Part of Larsen’s index finger was found in his coat pocket, where it apparently had fallen off when he reached for his keys to rush Nick to the vet. Because doctors couldn’t guarantee the operation would be successful, he opted not to have the fingertip reattached.
“The finger was secondary,” Larsen told WOWT-Channel 6 News. “The dog was priority.”
Experts don’t recommend sticking your hand into your dog’s mouth if he’s choking, advising instead a Heimlich maneuver or blows to the dog’s back.
Posted by jwoestendiek March 12th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: airway, animals, ball, bite, bitten, choke, choking, dog, fetch, finger, fingertip, gag, heimlich, hospital, lodged, mouth, nebraska, omaha, pets, priorities, priority, robert larsen, severed, vet, veterinarian
A London veterinarian has come out against fetch — or at least the age-old practice of throwing a stick for your dog to retrieve.
Professor Dan Brockman, of the Queen Mother Hospital of the Royal Veterinary College, University of London, suggests dog owners instead use rubber throwing toys, Frisbees or tennis balls.
Sticks, he says, can be deadly, and they cause as many injuries to dogs as cars.
“Many injuries are minor but some are horrific,” he said. “They range from minor scratches to the skin or lining of the mouth, to paralysis of limbs, life-threatening blood loss, and acute and chronic infections.
“The problem is that sticks are sharp – and very dirty. That means that, as the dog runs onto them or grabs them in its mouth, the end of the stick can easily pierce the skin, going through it to penetrate the esophagus, spinal cord, blood vessels or the dog’s neck.”
In addition to the bacteria, fungi and yeasts they might be covered with, sticks can break and small pieces can get stuck in the throat, said Brockman, who led a recent study of acute and chronic “stick injuries” in dogs.
Posted by jwoestendiek December 30th, 2008 under Muttsblog.
Tags: bacteria, break, dan brockman, dogs, fatal, fetch, Frisbees, games, hazardous, health, lodged, play, queen mother hospital, royal veterinary college, rubber toys, sticks, tennis balls, throat, university of london, veterinarian, veterinary