Sixteen cats and nine dogs found themselves homeless again after a fire broke out at the Animal Rescue Foundation office in Terryville, Conn.
All 25 animals in the shelter escaped unharmed.
Authorities said the fire started when a malfunctioning light fixture melted, dripping plastic onto bedding materials for the animals. Shelter staff were in the building, preparing for a Sunday’s bake sale fundraiser when someone smelled smoke.
The six volunteers inside quickly moved the animals to outdoor pens, according to the Republican American in Waterbury, Conn.
“We were just running on adrenaline,” said shelter president Kathy Johnson. “We didn’t care about the fire. It was just ‘let’s get the animals out of here as fast as we can.’”
The Animal Rescue Foundation, a nonprofit organization run by volunteers, was incorporated in 1978. The shelter takes in abandoned, abused and unwanted dogs and cats and houses them until they are adopted. Read more »
Posted by John Woestendiek November 25th, 2008 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animal, animal rescue foundation, cats, conn, dogs, electrical, fire, malfunction, rescue, shelter, terryville, waterbury