A tourist from Michigan was charged with animal cruelty Monday after leaving his two dogs inside a minivan while he visited the the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.
Rosie, an 8-year-old Chihuahua, died of heat stress after being inside the minivan for more than an hour, said Sabrina Fang, a spokeswoman for the Washington Humane Society.
Rosie had been left inside a plastic storage bin. A second dog, a 15-year-old beagle mix named Pebbles, was kept inside a crate made for dogs. She was treated for heat stress at an animal hospital, and was expected to be released today, according to the Washington Post.
Washington Humane Society officials say more tourists seem to be leaving pets inside cars, unaware of how quickly the temperatures can rise.
Police arrested Kenneth Reiff, and his daughter was taken into custody by Child Protective Services, Humane Society officials said.
Posted by John Woestendiek August 31st, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animal welfare, animals, beagle, cars, caution, chihuahua, danger, death, died, district, dog, dogs, health, heat, holocaust memorial museum, kenneth reiff, ohmidog!, parked, pebbles, pets, risk, rosie, temperatures, tourist, tourists, warning, washington
A Labrador retriever died after being left in a car parked outside a Costco in Frederick, Maryland.
A Maltese died after being left in a parked van while his owner went for a swim in a New York park.
A rash of similar cases have been reported across the heat-waved northeast, leading animal advocates to reiterate what they have long said — but apparently not everybody has heard: Dogs should never be left in parked cars, especially not in summer
In the Maryland case, Frederick County Animal Control says the dog was left in a car on Tuesday, as temperatures climbed to 104 degrees, the Washington Post reported. Authorities were notified about the dog, but by the time investigators arrived the dog was dead and the owner of the car was gone. Authorities are still investigating.
Earlier this week, a Bronx man left his Maltese inside his van at FDR State Park in Westchester, while he went for an hour-long swim, the New York Daily News reported.
Someone saw the dog and called park police, but by the time it was moved to the shade, the dog died. The owner of the dog was charged with animal cruelty.
Posted by John Woestendiek July 9th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animals, bronx, car, cars, caution, danger, death, dogs, frederick, health, heat, heat stroke, heat wave, maltese, maryland, new york, news, ohmidog!, park, parked, pets, safety, swimming, temperature, van, warning
The first comes from Washington, D.C., where a woman left her Yorkshire terrier in her car Saturday while she popped into a laundromat. When she returned, her car window was smashed and her beloved William was gone.
“He’s so much a part of my family. Everyone that knows him loves him. I know he’s scared right now. I can’t sleep because I know he’s scared, and he doesn’t know these people. He’s not gonna eat. They just need to get him back,” Denise Conner-Battle told ABC 7 News.
The second comes from Middleton, Wisconsin, where a dog left in a car while his owner stopped for lunch Thursday somehow managed to shift the car from park to neutral.
Police said the car rolled out of its parking spot and into a pickup truck across the lot. Damage to both vehicles was estimated in the thousands of dollars, according to an Associated Press report. The dog was fine.
Posted by John Woestendiek April 5th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: accident, animals, automobile, car, dog, dogs, gears, leave, left, middleton, neutral, news, ohmidog!, parked, pet, pets, safety, shift, stolen, theft, unattended, washington, william, wisconsin, yorkshire
It’s strictly coincidental that — at the same time a dog perished in a parked car during “American Idol” auditions — PETA was putting the finishing touches on a public service announcement by Simon Cowell about the dangers of leaving dogs in parked cars.
Now, though, PETA is rushing the “Idol” judge’s PSA to television stations across the country.
“Far be it from me to be critical, but I find it really appalling that, this year, thousands of dogs will die of heatstroke inside parked cars,” Cowell says in the spot, in which he appears with his canine pal, Claude. “Never ever leave your dog inside a parked car. Your dog idolizes you. In warm weather, keep him safe at home.”
PETA hopes the PSA might deter further deaths as summertime temperatures rise.
Quincy Vanderbilt, a 24-year-old from North Dakota, left his small terrier in his vehicle while he and his girlfriend lined up for Denver auditions for the show.
When he returned — nine hours later — the dog was dead. Vanderbilt was cited on a misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty.
“Simon would be shocked to know that this incident happened during auditions for his own show,” PETA Vice President Daphna Nachminovitch, said in a press release. “Even on merely warm days, it’s better to be safe than sorry and plan to leave your animal companions comfortably at home.”
Posted by John Woestendiek July 21st, 2009 under Muttsblog, videos.
Tags: american idol, auditions, canine, car, cars, contestant, cruelty, death, denver, dies, dog, heat, idol, judge, neglect, news, parked, peta, public service announcement, simon, simon cowell, summer, television, tv, warning
Five Pekingnese and a pit bull left unattended in a car parked outside a Greenville, South Carolina employment office Monday have all died.
And a mother and her son have been sentenced to 96 hours in connection with the case, News 2 in Charleston, S.C. reported.
Apparently justice moves swiftly, if not with much severity, in Greenville.
Two of the dogs were found dead in the car Monday; the four others died later while receiving treatment at an animal hospital.
Tanya Dunlap, 44, and Chris Dunlap, 20, both of Hoquiam, Wash., were charged after officers were called to the employment office after Chris Dunlap ran inside asking for water for his dogs because they were not moving.
Officers said that when they arrived the Dunlaps, along with others, were trying to provide medical attention to the animals by pouring water on them and packing ice around their bodies. They said that two of the dogs were dead when they arrived.
According to police, three more of the dogs died at a local animal hospital. They said the sixth dog died on Tuesday night, Fox News reported.
Police in the Dunlap’s hometown say Tanya Dunlap also faces charges there of animal neglect and abuse, stemming from having too many animals, the Associated Press reported.
(Photos: Greenville, S.C. Police Department)
Posted by John Woestendiek June 18th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animals, charge, chris dunlap, cruelty, die, dogs, economy, greenville, health, heat, hoquiam, left in car, parked, pets, police, safety, six, south carolina, tanya dunlap, unattended, unemployment, washington
When officials approached the car, on an unmarked road near the police station in Pottsboro, the woman inside locked the doors and refused to come out. Pottsboro is in Grayson County, about 80 miles north of Dallas.
Inside the car were 20 adult dogs and two newborns — all appearing to be Papillons and long-hair Chihuahuas — crowded in among blankets, a pot of water and waste. Investigators don’t know how long the dogs had been in the car, the Dallas Morning News reported.
Eventually the woman and dogs were removed from the vehicle. The animals were taken to a shelter in McKinney, according to Maura Davies, an SPCA of Texas spokesperson. The woman in the car was not charged, or identified. Officials said she was not coherent.
“We could smell ammonia from urine a few feet away from the car as we were approaching,” Davies said. “It was utterly filthy.”
SPCA staff took the dogs to the Perry Animal Care Center in McKinney, where the dogs will remain until a judge decides whether to grant custody to the owner or the SPCA. A hearing was scheduled for next week.
(Photo courtesy of the SPCA of Texas)
Posted by John Woestendiek February 10th, 2009 under Muttsblog.
Tags: 22, car, chihuahuas, dallas, dog, dogs, grayson county, papillons, parked, pets, seized, spca, station wagon, texas
A dog left in his master’s idling van somehow shifted the vehicle into gear and wound up crashing into a Long Island coffee shop last week.
Bentley, a 50-pound boxer-Sharpei mix that musician Bryan Maher rescued from a shelter about a month ago, “drove” the vehicle through the front window of Cool Beanz in St. James, Long Island, according to the New York Daily News.
“I ran inside the coffee house to sign up for open-mike night, and I left my car running because it’s cold outside and I didn’t want my dog to freeze,” said Maher, 60. “The next thing I knew, I looked up to see my van coming at me in the window, with Bentley in the driver’s seat grinning at me.”
The crash left the shop’s glass front window cracked, some patio furniture busted and the van with minor damage, but there were no injuries.
Maher said he’d learned his lesson, and wouldn’t leave the dog in an idling vehicle again — even if it is cold outside. Instead, he plans to get him “a nice doggie coat for Christmas.”
Posted by John Woestendiek November 24th, 2008 under Muttsblog.
Tags: accident, advice, car, cars, coffee shop, cold, crash, dog, dogs, drive, gear, heat, idling, long island, parked, pet, tips, vehicles