But he was pretty unlucky when — the evening before he and three friends were to depart — he found his dog had eaten them.
Sierra, a Swiss mountain dog, gobbled up pretty much everything but the strings.
It appeared Berkman’s once in a lifetime opportunity had vanished.
Frantic, Berkman, who lives in Seattle, called his girlfriend, who recommended he give Sierra some low-concentration hydrogen peroxide solution to induce vomiting.
Not long after that, with just hours to go before a 6 a.m. flight east, Berkman was sifting through Sierra’s vomit and trying to piece together the passes. Sierra hadn’t eaten much recently — other than the tickets — so it was “not as bad as you’d think,” Berkman said on Thursday.
Hoping the reconstructed passes would be accepted once they arrived in Augusta, Berkman didn’t tell his three friends about what the tickets had been through.
The foursome made a stop in Myrtle Beach to play some golf, and then headed for Georgia.
On Monday, Berkman called the ticket office and sent them photos of the original tickets and an e-mail verification of his purchase. He offered to present the passes that had passed through Sierra as well.
Berkman said he was hoping they would be ”gracious Southern folks” and let him and his friends attend the event.
He also shared his story with “Mitch in the Morning” on sports radio station KJR.
Two days later, Berkman and his friends picked up their graciously reprinted tickets and watched the final practice round for the Masters.
Posted by jwoestendiek April 7th, 2012 under Muttsblog.
Tags: accidents, animals, ate, augusta, dog, dogs, eats, golf, hydrogen peroxide, masters, passes, pets, reconstructed, reprinted, sierra, swiss mountain dog, ticket office, tickets, tournament, vomit, vomiting