Police in Carver received a call Saturday after the truck went into the murky pond.
By the time Officer David Harriman arrived, one of two dogs had escaped and was standing on shore with the owner. But the other hadn’t surfaced, according to Boston.com
“Instead of waiting for the dive team, I decided to go in and try and get the dog,” Harriman explained.
“Seconds mean a big difference for animals, and people for that matter, under water,” he said.
The owner of the dogs, Debra Titus, 59, of Plymouth, stopped the vehicle next to a pond that provides water to the local fire department to argue with a man about dogs, South Coast Today reported.
“She thought she threw it in park but in fact threw it in reverse,” Sgt. Raymond Orr said. “It backed up and went into the pond.”
According to a police department press release, Harriman “removed his gun belt and dove into the murky water … He then managed to open the door and enter the vehicle and retrieve the dog. The dog was returned to its owner in good health but a little frightened.”
A photo of Harriman standing on the roof of the submerged Toyota Tacoma, with the tiny dog in his arms, is racking up the likes on Facebook.
Harriman, who described himself as a dog lover, has an 8-month old bulldog named Jaxx.
Posted by John Woestendiek June 10th, 2014 under Muttsblog.
Tags: accolades, animals, car, carver, david harriman, dive, dog, dogs, facebook, hero, law enforcement, officer, pets, pickup, police, pond, rescue, submerged, trapped, truck, under water
Nancy Soares said the 11-year-old chocolate Labrador — named Max — was brought to the Macungie Animal Hospital last month after he had been in the car for about an hour.
She said Max’s owner, Donna Gardner, of Upper Macungie Township, had gone shopping, returned home, unloaded her packages, but forgot that Max was still in the car. The owner later heard the horn honking, checked outside, then went back in. When she heard the horn honking again, she went outside and saw Max sitting in the driver’s seat, WFMZ reported.
Soares said the owner immediately gave Max cold water to drink and wet him down with towels before rushing him to the clinic, where — though he was warm and panting heavily — he was determined to have suffered no lasting injuries.
Posted by John Woestendiek July 14th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: alerted, animals, car, chocolate, dog, donna gardner, health, heat, honk, honked, honks, horn, inside, lab, labrador, left, macungie animal hospital, nancy soares, owner, pennsylvania, pets, retriever, safety, summer, trapped, veterinarian
A small dog got wedged in a mechanized reclining chair at an assisted living facility in suburban Chicago and had to be freed by firefighters.
Naperville firefighters used a saw to cut the chair apart, and reported the dog, who belongs to a resident, didn’t appear to have been harmed – either by the chair or the rescue.
Firefighters were called to the Sunrise of Naperville assisted living center Thursday night, the Daily Herald reported. Firefighter/Paramedic Scott Bolda said the dog didn’t appear to be in pain when firefighters arrived on scene. A nurse’s aide was relieving some of the pressure from the chair to help the dog breathe, he said.
Bolda said the chair’s electrical controls stopped working when the dog became wedged, so the only option left was to saw the chair apart.
“It took about five minutes to get him free,” Bolda said. “We’ve never had to rescue a dog like that before.”
Posted by John Woestendiek April 26th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animals, assisted living, center, dog, facility, mechanized, news, ohmidog!, pets, recliner, reclining chair, rescue, resident, saved, stuck, sunrise of naperville, trapped, traps
Two dogs trapped inside a Colorado mine shaft since Monday managed to escape on their own.
Christy Huffman told KRDO that her border collie and Chihuahua escaped from her home Monday, along with a third dog who is still missing.
The two who ended up in the mine pit at the Cripple Creek and Victor Gold Mine in Teller County got out and are now in the care of the local animal control office.
Rescue crews had been trying to reach the animals since Tuesday, and Animal control officers Wednesday tried coaxing the dogs out of the mine shaft with food, treats and water, but had no success.
CC&V Gold Mine spokesperson Jane Mannon says the dogs were able to make their way out of the mine on their own.
Sheriff’s spokesman Deputy Mikel Baker said officials were worried about sending a search-and-rescue team down the 500-foot Ironclad Mine because the ground is unstable.
The dogs’ owners have been cited for letting their dogs run loose.
Posted by John Woestendiek April 16th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: animals, border collie, chihuahua, colorado, cripple creek, dog, dogs, escape, gold, gold mine, goldmine, mine, mining, news, ohmidog!, pets, rescue, shaft, teller county, trapped
A $1,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the identity of the owner of the severely matted Pekingese who was found abandoned on a roadside in Waltham, Mass.
City police and animal control are still searching for the owner of the male dog, estimated to be between 9 and 12 years old.
The dog had been nicknamed Mattie by veterinarian Susan Rosenblatt, who treated him at Kindness Animal Hospital. He died a few days after he was brought in.
The dog was extremely emaciated, suffering from pneumonia and his muscles had atrophied from years of neglect, the Daily News Tribune reported
Anyone with information about the dog is asked to contact Kindness Animal Hospital at 781-893-2800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted by John Woestendiek March 24th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: abandoned, abused, animal cruelty, dog, fur, hair, kindness animals hospital, mass, massachussetts, matted, mattie, neglected, news, ohmidog!, pekinese, pekingese, reward, severely, trapped, waltham
Veterinarians in Boston say a neglected and abandoned Pekingese died from being trapped in his own fur.
The dog was found in Waltham on March 6, unable to move or walk because of severe matting of his fur, WCVB-TV reported. He was taken to Kindness Animal Hospital, but could not be saved and died a few days later.
“This is probably one of the most extreme cases of neglect we’ve encountered in our practice,” said Susan Rosenblatt, chief of staff at Kindness. “We’re concerned that there may be other animals in the same household that are being similarly neglected.”
The Pekingese was between 9 and 12-years-old, tan and blind in his right eye. The left eye had been surgically removed. His fur had become so completely matted around its body that the dog was trapped within itself, veterinarians said.
The dog’s teeth were rotten and his muscles had atrophied because he was unable to move for so long. His nails had grown in a complete circle because they had not been cut in years, the vets said, and he had pneumonia.
The veterinary hospital staff and other animal welfare advocates asked for the public’s help to find the dog’s owners. Anyone with information can contact Kindness Animal Hospital at 718-893-2800 or e-mail email@example.com.
Posted by John Woestendiek March 19th, 2010 under Muttsblog.
Tags: abuse, atrophy, boston, cruelty to animals, death, died, dogs, fur, grooming, hair, kindness animal hospital, matted, neglect, neglected, news, pekingese, trapped, veterinarians, veterinary, waltham