In this article, we will talk about the best foods for Yorkies. We hope that you will find what you looking for in our guide.
Best Types of Dog Food for Yorkies
Commercial dog food comes in three forms: dry, semi-moist and canned. Below I will discuss each in a little more detail.
1. Dry Dog Food
Dry dog food typically contains less than 10% moisture. Because it requires chewing, dry dog food can actually reduce tartar build-up on your Yorkie’s teeth.
While dry dog food is more affordable than other types of dog foods, it has a higher chance of getting stale if not stored properly. Hence, losing valuable nutritional value.
2. Semi-Moist Dog Food
Semi-moist dog food comes with anywhere from 20 to 40% moisture content and tastes better than dry dog food. It is easier for your Yorkie to digest semi-moist dog food due to the higher moisture content.
3. Canned Dog Food
Canned dog food will likely be your dog’s favorite. With high moisture content (up to 80%), tasty, delicious and easily digestible, it’s apparent why canned dog food is the most expensive of all dog foods. The other benefit of canned dog food is that they have a long shelf life and can be conveniently stored.
Regardless of the type of dog food, all famous brands like Alpo, Friskies, Pedigree, Science Diet and others are nutritionally balanced. When in doubt, just check the label and make sure it’s marked “Complete Diet”.
Best Wet Food For Yorkies
As mentioned above, there is a considerable amount of benefits in providing wet food to your Yorkie. Many dog food manufacturers offer high-quality food products, but it can become a challenge to know what to purchase, especially if you are a new Yorkie owner or your Yorkie is a fussy eater.
Also read: Can Yorkie eat cheese?
Below I discuss five quality wet dog food that we have purchased and our Yorkie loves.
1. Blue Buffalo Dog Food
“Feed them like family”, a coined phrase by the dog food maker, Blue Buffalo, offers premium dog food for all dog breeds. Along with the below reviewed Filet Mignon & New York Strip flavor, this wet dog food is available in Rotisserie Chicken, Filet Mignon in Gravy, Prime Rib, and New York Strip flavors. The Blue Buffalo range can be viewed here.
This Blue Buffalo product contains 6 sachets of premium Filet Mignon in gravy and 6 sachets of premium New York Strip (both flavors use 100% quality beef cuts). Each sachtet is recommended as a single serving and is the perfect choice for adult Yorkies.
2. Cesar Canine Cuisine Wet Dog Food, Variety Pack
Cesar, the world-renowned dog food maker, offer premium meals at affordable prices. This variety pack contains 40 single-serve meals in a variety of flavors.
This variety pack contains eight classic flavours (5 of each) including, Turkey, Beef, Chicken, Smoked bacon & egg, Filet Mignon, Porterhouse steak, Ham & Egg (with potato and cheese), and Rotisserie chicken (with bacon and cheese).
3. Royal Canin Canine Health Nutrition Adult
Royal Canin, founded by a veterinarian, is a company that has over 40 years of experience in health nutrition. Their work with veterinarians, dog breeders and pet nutritionists from around the world has helped them garner a wealth of knowledge needed to understand the nutritional requirements of dogs.
This Royal Canin product contains six cans. Each can is packed full of nutrients and includes a high-quality Chicken, Port, and Salmon mixture. My Yorkie loves to eat this on its own or mixed with some dry food.
4. Purina ONE Natural Gravy Variety Pack
Founded in 1894, Ralston Purin established his dog feed business, Purina Mills. From its initial inception to the present day, Purina continues to provide the best products for consumers. The product listed below is their most popular dog food.
This product contains twelve 13oz cans, with six cans of Turkey and Venison and six cans of Chicken and Duck, each packed full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. This product is suitable for dogs of all ages.
5. Pedigree Choice Cuts In Gravy
With over 80 years of experience making dog food, Pedigree is passionate about your dogs’ health and wellbeing; that’s why great care goes into making sure their products contain all the ingredients that help promote strong muscles and a healthy coat.
This Pedigree product is packed full of all the nutrients your dog needs to grow healthy bones and a shiny coat.
Best Dry Dog Food For Yorkies
Dry dog food has many advantages for your Yorkie, such as benefits for your Yorkie’s oral health, and as such, should be included in their daily diet.
Below I share five quality dry dog foods that we have purchased that our Yorkie loves.
1. Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin offers a great range of dry pet food for your Yorkie, and this product has been made specifically for the Yorkshire Terrier. Our Yorkie loves this, and judging by the reviews, this product is highly rated.
This product weighs 2.49 pounds and is packed full of Chicken flavoured dry food that your Yorkie will love.
2. Hill’s Science Dry Dog Food
Made in the USA, this Hills Science product is made using all-natural ingredients. This product contains an antioxidant blend that helps support your little one’s immune system.
This product weighs 4.5 pounds and the dry dog food is Chicken flavored, and is made with natural ingredients.
3. Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
Purina, one of the oldest dog food manufacturers, offers a wide range of wet and dry dog food. This product is designed for smaller breeds and has the added benefit of an Antioxidant blend, which help support a strong immune system.
This product weighs 31.1 pounds and is made using a mixture of beef and rice.
4. IAMS Small Breed Dry Dog Food
IAMS offers a great range of wet and dry food for your Yorkie. This particular product is specifically made for small and toy breeds, making it an ideal choice for your Yorkie.
This product contains one 15lb bag and is Chicken flavored.
5. Eukanuba Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken – Small Breed
Eukanuba specializes in high-quality dog food and nutrition for all dog breeds. This product is ideal for small breed dogs like the Yorkie, and the ingredients used help promote lean muscle growth.
This product contains one 28 lb bag of dry dog food and is Chicken flavored.
Feeding Tips For Yorkies
• As a rule of thumb, an active adult dog needs about 25 calories per day per pound of body weight. For example, if your dog weighs 30 pounds, he needs 30 X 25 = 750 calories per day. In the case of puppies, start with 60 calories per day per pound of body weight and reduce gradually as they grow older. You can always go for special dog food for puppies.
• Another way to determine the right dog food portion is to follow the manufacturers’ recommended serving on the label. But dog authorities would normally advise that you cut 20% from the recommended serving.
• Having said that, different dog breeds have different activity levels and hence, you may want to vary the dog food serving accordingly. A higher activity level would mean bigger dog food servings.
• You can either stick to a fixed feeding schedule or leave the entire day’s dog food for your dog to decide when to eat.
• Fresh water supply must always be made available when feeding; more water is required when serving dry dog food.
• If dog treats are given to your dog, you should adjust the dog food serving accordingly.
• If your dog is aging or suffering from medical problems like allergies, obesity or other illnesses, get a special diet dog food after consulting your vet.
• Dog vitamins and supplements are not really necessary if your dog is healthy and the dog food is nutritionally well-balanced. Nevertheless, dog supplements and vitamins can certainly be used to improve digestion, improve coat quality and other health benefits.
So that’s everything you need to know about wet and dry dog food. Choosing the right dog food can become a challenge, especially if your Yorkie is a picky eater or you are a new Yorkie owner and are unsure of what to get.
The products listed here are for small-breed dogs, and our Yorkie had no issues with any of them. If you are unsure of what food to get for your Yorkie, with luck, hopefully, this article will help you make the right decision.